Board Meeting Minutes — November 2009

Board Meeting Minutes — December 2009
December 8, 2018
Board Meeting Minutes — October 2009
December 8, 2018

Board Meeting Minutes — November 2009

Board of Director’s Meeting New Wave Corporation915 E. Broadway – Columbia, Mo. KOPN Studios, Cope Ashlock Room

Meeting of November 17, 2009

In attendance were John Betz, Randi Bishop, Brigette Early, Meg Pochė, James Baker, Tom Verdot, Thomas Sobieck, Scott Meiner, Ray Marks, Ann Mehr, and General Manager, David Owens. Absent: Sheryl Clapton, Kyle Cook, Ryan Kind.

Call to Order:

Board President, Thomas Sobieck, called the meeting to order at 7:05pm and asked for any changes in the agenda. No changes were requested.

Review of Minutes:

The minutes from the October 2009 meeting were reviewed. A suggestion was made to mention the attendance at the last Board meeting of a Vox Magazine reporter. All agreed. James Baker motioned to approve the October Minutes. Randi Bishop seconded the motion. All agreed.

*The minutes from the October 2009 Board meeting were approved.Officer Reports – Exec. Meeting:

The Executive Committee met to discuss the status of CPB funding. There was a temporary hold on CPB funds and a projected loss of CPB funding by about $200. David Owens reported to the Executive Committee that he had submitted all paperwork for CPB funding and was awaiting a reply. Thomas Sobieck was advised to keep an eye on his email in case they replied to him. David Owens agreed to contact CPB if something didn’t come through in the next day or two. The Executive Committee also discussed the idea of a golf fundraising event and worked on a budget. The Committee will meet again on Thursday, November 19 at 6pm.

Staff Reports

General Manager – The FY2010 budget is not completed yet. Missouri Arts Council funding has been cut resulting in a 50% cut in moneys allocated to KOPN. All billing has been mailed out and current cash flow is positive. Staff meetings have included discussions on projects that can bring in money. Staff discussions have included:

  1. a)  Fundraising ideas such as Golf, Frisbee Golf, and a formal “wine and dine” dinner with an “ask” at the end of $2,000 per attendee.
  2. b)  Asking Board members for greater participation in Capitol Campaign fundraisers.

c) Sending out renewal letters at the end of the fiscal year when tax rebates are in.

d) A grant proposal to apply to the Boone County Trust for covering our internet and electric bills.

Holly Maness – Holly is planning and holding script-writing sessions for a Radio Theater event to be held in the spring. Her intention is to make money by holding a live radio theater event and also through CD sales of an audio version, which can also be aired after the event.

Brian Davis – Underwriting is going well. Slots are being filled and revenue has increased. David has asked Brian to produce a fiscal accounting of sales for quick reference.

Programming Committee

The Programming Committee met and discussed a perceived disappointment in the content of Radio Australia, and possible loss of listener-ship in the 2-3pm time slot. Suggestions have been made to conduct a poll of the listeners to gain better insight in to our listener’s interest. Ann Mehr moved that the Programming Committee design a survey of KOPN’s listener ship, to go out with the spring pledge drive. Tom Verdot 2ndthe motion. All agreed that:

  • The Programming Committee will design a poll to go out with the KOPN spring pledge drive letter.
  • David Owens will help by asking his peers how they poll for opinion.
  • PSA’s, email, website, phone bank, etc, will all be used to encourage participation by

    listeners.

    Capitol Campaign/Fundraising

    A round table discussion was held about fundraising and capitol campaign growth. The main idea here was to pursue a series of one-time events designed entirely for raising capital campaign funds. Tom Verdot suggested that the Board should examine the Pro- Fund Golf fundraising group, and others of its kind, carefully. We should seek honest reports of successes, failures, and affiliations of any fundraising organization we involve ourselves with.

    Randi Bishop discussed the importance of getting the capitol campaign going. The Board needs to know what the future plans are for Dalton’s building. Should we seek first right of refusal for our space, or move heavily towards buying and/or leasing a new space, or a mixed space with CATTV, etc.

• Randi Bishop will invite Mark Timberlake to the February 16, 2010 Board meeting.

Note: Randi Bishop will not be rejoining the Board when her term expires in January of 2010, but she will remain on the Building Committee.

Annual Meeting

A discussion was held about setting the date for the annual meeting. David Owens suggested Sunday, January 24, 2010 at Unity Church. Scott Meiner motioned to approve the suggested date and place. Ann Mehr seconded the motion. All agreed.

*The Annual Meeting was set for Sunday, January 24, 2010 with a targeted venue of Unity Church

* Tom Verdot agreed to be the contact person to secure Unity Church as the venue.

The discussion continued with ideas for whom to solicit as potential Board nominees. A suggestion was made to investigate the KOPN membership list for consistently involved members representing our diversity, along with donors with a consistent and relatively large vested interest. Some suggested names were Morgan Matsiga, Bruce Gordon, and Dan and Melinda Hemmelgarn.

Time Line: Solicitations for potential nominees should happen the first half of December with a mail out to the public in early January.

Meeting adjourned: 9:00pm Next Meeting: December 15, 2009

Respectfully submitted to the Board by Meg Poché on December 13, 2009

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *