Board Meeting Minutes — March 2010

Board Meeting Minutes — April 2010
December 8, 2018
Board Meeting Minutes — February 2010
December 8, 2018

Board Meeting Minutes — March 2010

Board of Director’s Meeting New Wave Corporation
915 E. Broadway – Columbia, Mo. Meeting held at 3008 Hal Ct. in Columbia

Meeting of March 23, 2010

In attendance were Kyle Cook, Meg Pochė, Jill Sheets, Thomas Sobieck, Scott Meiner, John Betz, Bridgette Early, Tom Verdot, and General Manager, David Owens. Absent: Sheryl Clapton, Ray Marks, Jim Baker, and Michelle Grant

Call to Order:

Board President, Thomas Sobieck, called the meeting to order at 7:05pm and asked for any changes to the agenda. Thomas Sobieck suggested the addition of a discussion about electing a Board Secretary. David Owens added a discussion about appointing Ellen Froeschner to the Board and Scott Meiner added the discussion about considering Eapon Thampy and Tyree Byndom as possible Board candidates.

Review of Minutes:

The minutes from the February 2010 meeting were reviewed. Meg Poché motioned to approve the February Minutes. Scott Meiner seconded the motion. All agreed.

*The minutes from the February Board meeting were approved.Board Elections:

John Betz motioned to elect Meg Poché as Secretary to the Board. Scott Meiner seconded the motion. All agreed.

*Meg Poché was elected to the position of the KOPN Board Secretary.

A discussion was held regarding appointing Ellen Froeschner as a KOPN Board member. Scott Meiner motioned to approve appointing Ellen to the Board. Kyle Cook seconded the motion. All agreed.

*Ellen Froeschner was appointed to the KOPN Board

A discussion was held regarding Eapon Thampy and Tyree Byndom as possible Board candidates. Eapon Thampy has repeatedly expressed an interest in being a Board member.

*Scott Meiner agreed to invite Eapon Thampy to next Board meeting on April 20, 2010.

Staff Reports

Audit and Accounting Process:

David Owens informed the Board about the events leading up to Omar Kadir’s resignation and the accounting status of the station in the wake of his leaving. Quite a few unexpected areas of neglect were encountered involving filing, banking, processing of pledges from the most recent pledge drive, and the CPB audit. Thomas Sobieck, John Betz, and Scott Meiner are working in a regular schedule with David to help sort things out.

*David requested that Meg Poché send all of her available copies of the KOPN Minutes to the members of the Board of Directors.

A discussion was held about whether David was seeking a replacement for Omar. Options are being considered regarding whether this should be on a contract basis or another hired employee. The most important thing at the moment is to gather all materials needed for the CPB audit. David will file for another extension in this process. John Betz suggested that it would greatly benefit all involved in this accounting process to have a simple report based upon a recent bank statement. KOPN is currently solvent John points out, but we aren’t sure how long this will last.

Officer Reports

General Manager, David Owens, reported that plans are under discussion for holding a one-day drive before the summer drive. Planning has only just begun and a staff meeting will be held tomorrow for an evaluation of this idea. Target dates for the drive are May 16th or 23rd. (Update: The date for the one-day drive has been set for May 25th)

Executive Committee Meetings: The Finance Committee has met in lieu of the Executive Committee, but in the same capacity. The discussion above on Audit an Accounting covers this.

Standing Committee: Mark Timberlake never attended a Board meeting as planned. Tom Verdot felt that Mr. Timberlake didn’t understand what the KOPN Board wanted from him.

*Tom Verdot will re-contact Mark Timberlake and have Randi Bishop explain to him what information we would appreciate from him regarding our thinking and planning on future KOPN housing.

A round table discussion was held about the best plans for KOPN’s future housing needs. All agreed it would be beneficial to keep the location centrally located, hopefully within walking distance of downtown. David walks the area a lot and investigates everything that looks potential. 2016 is the year we need to be out of our current location. Our housing needs seem to be in the 3200 – 4500 sq. ft. range. We need to have a meeting to define the parameters we want.

Unfinished Business

Golf Fundraising – Interest seems to be leaning in the direction of holding a Frisbee Golf fundraising tournament. In his investigations David has found that both Albert Oakland and Indian Hills parks have Frisbee golf courses. David has done a great deal of reading on posters for invitational tournaments and Frisbee golf fundraisers for Not For Profit organizations. David thinks June is do-able for this type of event. Meg Poché mentioned the potential benefit of partnerships with local entities such as Shakespeare’s or the Blue Note, etc. David expressed that Frisbees used as premiums should be professional quality Frisbees.

Meeting adjourned: 8:15pm Next Meeting: April 20, 2010

Respectfully submitted to the Board by Meg Poché on April 18, 2010

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *