Board Meeting Minutes — June 2017

Board Meeting Minutes — May 2017
November 14, 2018
Board Meeting Minutes — July 2017
November 14, 2018

Board Meeting Minutes — June 2017

KOPN/New Wave Corporation June 21, 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

The meeting was held on the 21st day of the month at the Cope Ashlock room. In attendance were Dan Hemmelgarn, Boden Lyon, Laird Okie, Allen Vaught, Heather O’Connor, Margot McMillen, and David Owens. Kara Holem was present by invitation. Also present were Kent Froeschle of iZones.net / Full Stream Wireless, and also long-time member and contributor Lee Ruth.

Motion to approve the May minutes was made by Allen, seconded by Margot, and passed by voice vote.

Boden moved that the discussion with Kent Froeschle be moved to the beginning of the agenda. The topics discussed included the hosting service that would be actually doing the web hosting, which is located in St. Louis. He will provide its name, and forward the SLA (Service Level Agreement) and terms of service agreement to Dan and David. The contract should be signed in short order.

Kent is in contact with Gary Novak, and has begun running cable in the air rooms. The time frame for a complete switch over depends on how long we want to run the test. The equipment has not yet been mounted on the tower. He has two forms that must be signed for porting of the existing phone number to the new service. The porting takes 5-7 business days.

There was some discussion of details on the profit & loss statement, including some clarification. The amount collected each month from recurring donations is currently about $850.

Motion to approve the financial report was made by Heather, seconded by Boden, and passed by voice vote.

The audit has not yet been received, and it is causing us to be charged by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting daily.

Kara has provided a budget projection for October 2017 to September 2018, based on what QuickBooks automatically generated based on 2017 numbers.

Ellen arrived close to 8 p.m. Programmer Rhett Hartman joined the meeting from roughly 7:30-8:20 p.m.

There was some reportage by the Membership committee. Topics included the planning of a membership appreciation week, the use of social media and email newsletters as outreach tools, promoting the use of apps such as TuneIn Radio to listen to the station, and finding out details about how long music shows can be posted as podcasts without violating copyright laws.

Station Manager’s Report:
There have been issues with the air conditioning at the tower, due to interference with the float valve.

New business:
The programmers should be informed that the financial situation is becoming serious. Dan is hoping to schedule this soon. Location and details were discussed; Ellen suggested calling it a “State of the Station” report. Dan made a motion that we schedule the event for a Thursday at

6:30 p.m., date to be determined. He will develop a draft document and solicit feedback from the board; after the document is created a date will be chosen. Allen seconded the motion, and it passed through voice vote. The event will be held at the station.

The next topic of discussion was the printing of cards for thank you notes. Dan has a design crafted and has solicited a bid from Witt Printing. The board approved the printing of 250 cards and envelopes, after a few tweaks to the design.

Failure to meet critical deadlines:
Dan brought up that the development of a budget should be undertaken in earnest. It should be a strategy document, reflecting that we expect to lose CPB money in the future, and include strategies to address the expected deficits in the future. He is requesting a plan that would include priorities for equipment replacement, plans for the move, and the like. It should address how much it’s going to cost us going forward, how much we’re likely to raise without outside help, how much we need for the move to a new location; these were identified as the three major issues. A Google search for “nonprofit budget plans” was recommended to David.

Staff job descriptions: The board has received brief job descriptions with some approximation of hours spent from both Kara and Jill; David did not realize that the Board’s request for job descriptions applied to him as well. He will try to have a draft of this available by the July board meeting.

David agreed to create a budget for the August board meeting.

Regarding the audit, our fiscal year ends the end of September, and Dan made a motion that he contact Howe and Associates to find out if their price has changed significantly. Boden seconded the motion and it passed.

The ownership of kopnmusic.org has been transferred to us. It is being hosted by hosting.com; the kopn.org site is being hosted by A2 hosting.

The board went into closed session at 9:28 p.m. to discuss personnel issues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *