Board Meeting Minutes — June 2010

Board Meeting Minutes — July 2010
December 8, 2018
Board Meeting Minutes — May 2010
December 8, 2018

Board Meeting Minutes — June 2010

Board of Director’s Meeting

New Wave Corporation

915 E. Broadway – Columbia, Mo. KOPN Studios, Cope Ashlock Room

Meeting of June 15, 2010

In attendance were Thomas Sobieck, Scott Meiner, John Betz, Ellen Froeschner, Ray Marks, Kyle Cook, Meg Pochė, Jill Sheets, Tom Verdot, and General Manager, David Owens.Absent: Sheryll Clapton, Ann Mehr, Bridgette Early, Michelle Grant, and Jim Baker.

Call to Order:

Board President, Thomas Sobieck, called the meeting to order at 7:05pm and asked for any changes to the agenda. The need to approve the Minutes from the April 20, 2010 meeting was added to the agenda.

Review of Minutes:

The minutes from the April and May 2010 meetings were reviewed. Scott Meiner motioned to approve the both sets of Minutes. Tom Verdot seconded the motion. All agreed.

*The minutes from the April and May 2010 Board meetings were approved.

Treasurer’s Report:

Board Treasurer John Betz reported an end of month balance in April 2010 of $2,957.20 and a balance in May of $16,559.70. Betz reported that the hiring of Tami Benus as consultant for QuickBooks issues and monthly financial reconciliation is moving forward. David Owens wants to meet with Benus to discuss several items. A discussion was held as to what the Board would like to see in the form of a monthly financial report. David suggested that the Executive Committee get together to look at the variety of reports that can be generated by QuickBooks. Tom Verdot expressed an interest in having a comparative analysis done on a regular schedule so that we can gauge how the station is doing. Thomas Sobieck motioned that the Executive Board meet to decide a basic format for presenting the Treasurer’s report each month along with advice from Tami Benus. A proposal would be made at the July Board meeting. Meg Pochė 2nd the motion. All agreed.

* The Executive Committee will meet to decide upon the format of the monthly Treasurer’s report to the Board and present it’s ideas at the July 20, 2010 Board meeting.

Discussion of Priorities

A discussion was held on generating a list of priorities for the station and it’s operations. At the top of the list were things having to do with appeasing funders and regulators such as the CPB, FCC, etc. A calendar will be generated and maintained by the Executive Committee of the Board to help keep track of important dates and deadlines. The following items have upcoming deadlines:

*David Owens will conduct one on one staff evaluations and report on them to the Board at the July 20, 2010 Board meeting

*The Board will conduct an evaluation of the General Manager after the July 20th Board meeting..

Staff Reports

Audit Progress:

David Owens informed the Board that the CPB audit had been sent off with the exception of September’s bills, which are missing. Other demands put forth by the CPB in order to complete the audit are still pending completion. David reports that he is working diligently to sort through and deliver on these demands but does not know when the audit will be complete.

One-Day Drive:

Money is still coming in from the mail out associated with the One Day Drive. Jill Sheets has been helping to log income as it arrives. A few minor problems have been encountered but overall the One Day Drive was a great success. The amount raised in one day was significant but not equal to the amount gained in a 10-day drive. Staff has met to brainstorm ways to make up for any shortfall. They plan to send out another solicitation letter to the KOPN mailing list in the next few weeks and perhaps put on a Sunday/Monday drive before the end of summer. Lapsed donor calls were also a suggestion. Tom Verdot suggested not doing lapsed donor calls more than once a year since they are labor intensive and produce little in return.

All agreed that the October drive should remain a 10-day drive as it is the biggest drive of the year and brings in the most pledges. The possibility of another one-day drive before the end of summer was also looked upon favorably as opposed to a Sunday/Monday two-day drive.

Officer Reports

Executive Committee

The Executive Committee continues to meet regularly to help the General Manager sort through financial affairs in the front office. John Betz presented his ideas for using power point presentations as a means to communicate ideas at Board and Staff meetings and as a means of training for all employees and volunteers.

Committee Reports

Housing Committee

There was no report by the Housing Committee however Tom Verdot is hopeful to contact Randi Bishop soon to discuss options. John Betz reported on his impromptu visit with Dick Dalton, heir apparent to the Dalton building. Dick reported to John that he and his brother did not envision KOPN leaving the Dalton building when they inherit the building. He stated that they envisioned us continuing on as we are now. The KOPN rent agreement expires in 2016. If we were to decide to remain in the Dalton building we would want to know early on what the new lease terms would be and get that in writing soon enough to make decisions about our future.

A discussion was held about the responsibilities of KOPN vs. the Daltons in the maintenance of the building and KOPN space. David explained that basically KOPN is responsible for indoor maintenance, such as the air conditioning. The Daltons are responsible for exterior items such as the leaking windows, dilapidated rear door that is an energy drain to KOPN, weather stripping of the front door, etc. The only reason these exterior items have not been attended to is that no one has yet requested repairs from the Daltons.

Programming Committee

Ray Marks reported that the Programming Committee was reviewing a recently submitted program demo but had not yet made a decision on it.

New Business

Sassafrass Agency ( http://www.sassafrasagency.com )

Scott Meiner informed the Board about the Sassafras Agency, a local cause-marketing firm that specializes in working with non-profits to increase fund raising and project a better image.

• All agreed that Scott should invite Sassafras representatives to attend an upcoming Board meeting for a Q & A session.

Council of Twelve

David introduced John Betz’s idea of forming a ”Council of Twelve”. This would include 12 people from communities around Columbia that would serve to promote KOPN in those communities. All agreed that this was something to pursue in earnest and discuss further at an upcoming meeting.

Meeting adjourned: 8:50pm Next Meeting: July 20, 2010

Respectfully submitted to the Board by Meg Poché on June 27, 2010

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *